Having multiple displays is vastly superior than having a single display, unless of course you have an ultrawide monitor. But those things can be very expensive. And, depending on where you live, availability and pricing can be vexatious. We will now demonstrate how you can use any iPad as a secondary display for your Windows 10 PC, for free.
Install the Splashtop Wired XDisplay HD app from Appstore.
For those who have much older iPads and are unable to download any app from the Appstore, there’s a work-around. Follow the following steps-
- Download a version of iTunes older than version 12.6.5 from https://support.apple.com/downloads/itunes. If you already have the latest version of itunes on your pc, then uninstall it first and then install this older version of itunes which supports your iPad.
- Open the old iTunes version on your PC and log in to the same Apple account as that on your iPad. If the app prompts you to update to the latest version, click no and proceed with this old version only.
- Now you can search for the Splashtop Wired XDisplay HD app from the top right search bar, or you click the 3 dots on top left and press Apps. It should open the App Store and now you can search for the Splashtop Wired XDisplay HD app.
- Now download the iPad Version of Splashtop Wired XDisplay HD app. It won’t be downloaded on your desktop, it would just be added to your library of previously downloaded apps.
- Now open your iPad’s App Store and go to the Purchased section from the bottom taskbar. Here you should see the Splashtop Wired XDisplay HD App on top of this list.
- Click on the cloud icon in front of this app and it will download the app to your iPad. It might show a warning that this app may not be compatible with your device, but you just press OK and it will download the older version of this app which will actually be compatible with your device.
- This way you can download most of the modern day apps on your very old iPads, which you are unable to directly install from the Appstore due to your device being more than 5 years old.
On your Desktop go to https://www.splashtop.com/wiredxdisplay and download the version corresponding to your PC OS. After downloading, run the executable and install the application.
Now connect your iPad to your Desktop via the USB cable and click allow on your iPad’s screen. This will enable communication between your Desktop and your iPad so that your Desktop can actually recognise the iPad.
Keep the Splashtop Wired XDisplay HD App open on both your PC and iPad then, plug in the USB cable so as to connect the iPad with your PC. Immediately, your windows screen will be mirrored to your iPad. To use it as an extended desktop, right click on your PC home screen, select Display Settings and you can change it to Extended mode or Mirror Mode.
On the Home Screen of the XDisplay app of your PC, you can change both the frame rate and the resolution to High Settings. You can also change these display settings to your liking from the Display options built into Windows 10.
For this setup, we used the iPad 3rd generation from 2012. It had been lying around for 4 years, so slow it was unusable. Thanks to this app, we could rescue it and actually put it to good use!
Did you find this piece helpful? Also read: How to Play Games on Nvidia GeForce Now Using iPhone and iPad.
For Exclusive Social Media Content Follow Us on: