Ever noticed a few days ago you looked up the price of some commodity on amazon and within hours, all the websites you visit are displaying ads of similar products on your screen? This is because Amazon and other retailers track your search history, your profile and use all that information to show you personalized ads. In this article I will be explaining how to completely stop Amazon from stealing your data.
How to completely stop Amazon from stealing your data?
Stopping Personalized Ads
- Go to Your Account
- In the Email alerts, messages and ads section, go to Advertising Preferences.
- Change the selection to Do Not Personalize Ads from Amazon for this Internet Browser and click Submit. If you are using multiple browsers like me, you will have to follow these steps for each browser separately.
How To Hide Your Browsing History?
- Go to Your Recommendations.
- Click on Your Browsing History.
- Click on Manage History. Now you can clear your browsing history, and Turn Browsing History OFF from the on-screen options. Again if you are using multiple devices/browsers, you will have to follow these steps for all separate devices.
How To Make Your Amazon Wish list Private?
If you don’t make your wish list private, anyone on the internet can look it up. In order to make it private, follow these steps –
- Go to Your Wishlist.
- Click on the 3 dots at the top right and choose Manage List.
- From the popup window, toggle the Privacy setting to Private and then Save Changes.
How To Make Your Amazon Profile Private?
- Go to Your Account.
- Under the Ordering and shopping preferences, click on Profile.
- Click on Edit your public profile.
- Click on Edit Privacy Settings
- Select the checkbox in front of Hide all activity on your public profile and click Save.
Removing Alexa Recordings
- Open the android Alexa app and choose More from the bottom bar.
- Click Settings and on the next page choose Alexa Privacy.
- Select Manage Your Alexa Data.
- Enable Deletion by Voice.
- Click on Choose how long to save recordings and choose Do not save Recordings and Confirm.
- Go back to the previous page and scroll down, towards the bottom you can Uncheck Use of voice recordings, and Use messages to improve transcriptions.
- Finally go back to the previous page (Alexa Privacy) and click on Review Voice History.
- Filter the date by All history, and click on Delete all of my recordings.
Following these steps on all of your devices will ensure that all your information is not available in the public domain, and will therefore not be used showing personalized ads. Make sure that you follow these steps on all devices logged in with that Amazon Account to ensure full privacy and avoid half measures.
Liked How To Completely Stop Amazon From Stealing Your Data? Also read: Facebook Can Track You Throughout the Internet. Here’s How To Put a Stop to It.